God’s Unparalleled Benefit Plan
Praise the LORD, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the LORD, my soul, and forget not all his benefits— who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Jobs with benefits are getting harder to find. Companies have cut costs by keeping income low and benefits to a minimum.
But we love benefits in their many forms. Healthcare, life insurance, 401K, childcare, gym memberships, etc. The more the better.
A few years back, lots of folks lost everything in their 401K funds due to a recession. When I was prematurely retired from radio, I lost my entire benefits’ package. Unfortunately, man’s benefits can be lost.
Even many of those provided with healthcare insurance have learned their coverage is limited and requires outrageous deductibles.
But then there are the benefits that come from God which are not fleeting and uncertain. In Psalm 103, the psalmist urges us to “forget not all His benefits,” and then follows with a list.
- forgives all your sins– When we receive Christ as personal Savior, our sins are forgiven. We are made clean by the sacrificial blood of the Lamb, Christ.
- heals all your diseases– A few days ago, I wrote about how Jesus went to heaven to prepare a place for us. When we get there, we will receive the ultimate health benefit. “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. (Revelation 21:4)
- redeems your life from the pit– Redemption means that Jesus has paid the penalty you deserve. He gave His life so you might have life eternal with Him in His heaven. Jesus redeemed you from eternal torment in hell.
- crowns you with love and compassion– Just think of what the psalmist is saying here. God “crowns you.” When it comes to love and compassion, do you treat your children the same as the kids down the street? Of course, your children get the best you have to offer. You show them favoritism and rightfully so because they belong to you. Similarly, you have been adopted into the forever family through the work of Christ and therefore get an extra measure of His love and compassion.
- satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagles– God gives good things to His children. He renews us day by day and at the end of this life will renew us so incredibly we will soar like eagles, unhindered by the restraints of living on this earth. No more sorrow. No more pain.
How are we to respond to these awesome benefits? We’re told in verse 1: “Praise the LORD, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the LORD, my soul…”
Consider all His benefits and praise Him. Do it now.
For more on this topic, check out this article: Praise the Lord Oh My Soul
Reprinted from The Forever Notebook, Book 2 (April – June) Get your copy here: Paperback and eBook/Kindle formats.